Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: P90X - Day 3

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

P90X - Day 3

Day 3 of P90X: Shoulders and Arms
4:45a.m.: Wake up 15 minutes before my alarm and begin internal debate regarding whether I actually want to get up.
5:00a.m.: Alarm goes off. Debate continues.
5:05a.m.: Willpower wins.
5:10a.m.: Start P90X. Let the pain begin.
6:30a.m.: Done!

Yesterday when I got into work, I had to walk down two flights of stairs (for some reason the elevator in the parking deck only goes up to the 5th floor, despite the deck being 8 levels - I work at an engineering company. You'd think that we'd have a better parking deck design, right?). While going down the stairs, I felt like my right quad was going to give out on me. It was shaky and weak, and I was concerned as to whether I could continue . Don't worry, I didn't crumble and fall, but I did walk pretty slowly and held onto the hand-rails with both hands.

Here's what I ate yesterday: 
Breakfast (@7:30a.m.): Rack of lamb with a balsamic glaze, served over mixed greens, and topped with a poached egg. Yeah, I like to eat fancy food, even in the morning.
Snack (@10a.m.): Orange, Dark chocolate with cacao nibs 1/2 serving.
Lunch (@12p.m.): Chicken and steak faijitas with guacamole thanks to a lunch meeting (though I should have just stuck with the food I brought from home - compared to breakfast and dinner, lunch alone had the same number of calories, three times more carbs, the same grams of fat, and 1/3 the protein - eating out is gross sometimes!)
Snack (@4p.m.): Apple
Dinner (@8:30p.m.): Rack of lamb with Brussels sprouts and artichokes

Nutritional data:


Goal
with Exercise
Actual
Calories
kcal
1,330
1,932
1,625
Carbs
g
183
265
124
Fat
g
44
63
75
Protein
g
50
72
69
Calcium
g
100
100
11
Fiber
g
15
22
18
Cholesterol
mg
-
-
359
Sodium
mg
-
-
1,261
Sugars
g
-
-
39

Sometimes I get cravings. Usually I succumb to them. I'm a firm believer that my body will let me know what it needs. Obviously it does that already: when your body needs water or nutrients, you feel thirsty or hunger, respectively. There was a week of my freshman year at Georgia Tech during which I craved green beans (obviously prior to Paleo). I had green beans at every meal, including breakfasts, from Monday through Friday. My breakfast was half of a can of green beans; lunch was a side of green beans; and dinner was green bean casserole. And the week progressed in much of the same way. For some reason, every meal of my meal plan contained green beans that week.  It was more than just me wanting green beans. But most of the times that I claim I'm "craving" something, it's usually just me wanting to eat something like chocolate or sweets. So here are my levels of "craving," 5 being the level where I feel like my body is craving it, not my mind.

0 - No way
1 - I wouldn't mind it
2 - I'd like it
3 - I want it
4 - I really want it (usually stress-related)
5 - I crave it; I need it; I have hunger pangs for this particular food.

So see below for an explanation of what your body is trying to tell you:

No comments:

Post a Comment