Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: P90X - Day 2

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

P90X - Day 2

Monday morning
5:00 a.m.: My alarm clock sounds.
5:05 a.m.: I convince myself to get out of bed.
5:10 a.m.: I start the 1-hour P90X Plyometrics routine.
6:10 a.m.: I foam-rolled my hamstrings, calves, and shins.

Plyometrics is almost my least favorite of the P90X workouts (yoga wins the least favorite award). I did more squats yesterday than I have in the past month, and my body is unhappy with me for not maintaining the fitness level that I had achieved the first time I did P90X. Here we go again!

I've talked in the past about where to get things like fiber or calcium, and I started thinking about whether I was getting too much or too little of a particular nutrient. So I created an account on myfitnesspal.com today as a way to track the amount of nutrients that I'm consuming. It unfortunately doesn't track all vitamins, but it covers the "big" ones that most people watch for. Based on my weight, goals, lifestyle (I spend ~10 hours/day sedentary), etc., the website predicts that I should consume 1330 calories, 183 g carbs, 44 g fat, 50 g protein, 100 g calcium, and 15 g fiber. These goal values change when you log your workouts so that you get enough nutrients. So when I added in the Plyo from this morning, my target values changed to: 1980 kcal, 272 g carbs, 65 g fat, 74 g protein, 100 g calcium, and 23 g fiber.

Here's what I ate yesterday: 
Breakfast (@7:30a.m.): 1 egg scrambled with spinach and artichokes
Snack (@10a.m.): 1 Gala apple
Pre-lunch (@11:30a.m.): 2/3 serving of 72% dark chocolate with cacao nibs (I'm bad, I know.)
Lunch (@1p.m.): 1.5 cup homemade chicken and vegetable soup
Snack (@4p.m.): 1/4 of an orange, 2 Tbls Sundrops
Dinner (@8:30p.m.): Rack of lamb with Brussels sprouts, and artichokes, with a dessert of 1 Tbls of almond butter.  The lamb was seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary, sesame seeds, and thyme. The artichokes were just sprinkled with some salt and pepper, and the Brussels sprouts got pepper, garlic salt, and about 1/2 tsp of bacon fat.

Nutritional data:
Calories:      1226 kcal
Carbs:          108 g
Fat:              54 g
Protein:        83 g
Calcium:       38 g
Fiber:           32 g
Cholesterol: 381 mg
Sodium:        1272 mg
Sugars:         51 g

As you can see, I was below my suggested intake on everything except for protein and fiber. Hmmmm... then again, I don't eat too many carbs being on the Paleo diet, so I hope I wouldn't reach 272 g of carbs per day. And eating more protein is a component of Paleo. Either way, I ate when I was hungry, and felt incredibly full after dinner.

This week's goal: No "sneaking" food. If I eat it, it counts and I'm posting it here so that all of you can judge me. Accountability!

No comments:

Post a Comment