Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: P90X - Day 16

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

P90X - Day 16

I didn't sleep well on Sunday night. For some reason, running gave me what I assume is heart burn. I don't actually know what heart burn is, but the pain felt like it was coming from my esophagus. It lasted for about 6 hours, or at least until I fell asleep. So I decided to sleep in until 6 a.m. and do P90X in the evening after I got back from the library. Plus, I feel less guilty for jumping around for Plyo in the evenings. I worry that my downstairs neighbor hates me for jumping on the floor.

Over the weekend I decided to bake my favorite dessert, courtesy of Martha Stewart. The pumpkin makes the bars incredibly dense and yummy. I've always enjoyed baking, and these are by far the most delicious of all of the desserts that I've baked, ever. Unfortunately it's not Paleo. I'm going to attempt to make a Paleo version this next weekend.

Non-Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Squares
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbls + a little extra pumpkin-pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. (Optional: Line bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil.) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in pumpkin puree. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spread batter in pan. Bake until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan. I find that the bars taste best when cold, so I stick them in the fridge before eating. I brought them into work to share in my all-day, all-week meeting, and I definitely got a few thumbs-up of approval.



No comments:

Post a Comment