Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: P90X - Day 19

Friday, August 31, 2012

P90X - Day 19

Again, I didn't wake up early enough to workout. Cue the whomp, whomp failure soundtrack now. I did Legs and Back at 9:30 p.m., so at least I got it done.

I was talking to my ATL friend SK on the phone over the weekend and I told her that I somehow feel like food will solve my problems, in particular health problems. I mention this because yesterday my stomach didn't feel great after eating lunch. This is what I ate for lunch: Spring mix, Tomato, Cucumber, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Mushroom, Celery, Bell Pepper, Cabbage, Pumpkin Seeds, Walnuts, Almonds, Chopped Egg, Sundried Tomatoes, Grapes, Strawberries, Apple, Mandarin Orange, with Chipotle Chicken and Sundried Tomato Dressing. So something in that list must have upset my stomach. And do you know what my immediate reaction to the not-great stomach feeling was? I should eat something to help it. Excuse me? What? How does that make any sense? If I'm full, and my stomach doesn't feel good, why should I want to eat more food? I'm weird. Or maybe this is more common than I think. Maybe other people are like this as well. Who knows? But I get this weird empty yet full feeling in my stomach, and it can last for hours. The empty-full/upset stomach feeling frequently occurs when I eat apples (pH 3.3-3.9) and sometimes carrots (pH 5.9-6.3). So possibly the apple or the carrots was the culprit from lunch. I've wondered about this a lot in the past. Raw apples and carrots tend to make me feel funny after eating them. I thought maybe it was a pH/acidity thing, and obviously the apple is acidic, but the carrot isn't too acidic, so I don't know if that's really the issue. I haven't tested my response to cooked apples or carrots, but now I feel like I should.  I'm hesitant to do so though because I like carrots and apples, and I'm not sure if I want to find out that my body doesn't tolerate them well. I'm also interested in seeing whether the pH balance of food affects me, but I have no desire to put that much effort into measuring the pH of my food. Thanks, but no. If you're interested in checking out some of the pH values of various foods:, you can check out this website: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/food-ph-d_403.html.

I've also realized that I don't feel like a meal is complete until I finish it off with something sweet. I've noticed this more and more lately. And it's annoying me. Do I need a sweet? No. Am I even hungry? No. Do I want a sweet? You bet your ass I do. In my week of meetings we've had catered lunches. On Wednesday, there was cheesecake as a dessert. I spent ~3 hours having a stare-down with that cheesecake, thoroughly testing my resolve not to eat dairy. I've always loved cheesecakes, so it was a tough battle. I won out, and snacked on some carrots instead. But man. Wednesday afternoon was rough. There were multiple times that I thought I can have just one piece. One piece isn't bad. It's fine. Granted, then I counter with: If you cave in to the cheesecake, what else are you going to cave in to? You already didn't work out before work. Yay willpower!

No comments:

Post a Comment