Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: P90X - Day 18

Thursday, August 30, 2012

P90X - Day 18

Hahaha. Day 18? Yeah. Yoga did not happen yesterday. I tried to wake up early. I really did. But I had my first FE Review Course on Tuesday night, and didn't get to bed until past by bedtime. I mean, class goes until after my intended lights-out time. Yes. It's ridiculous that I try to go to bed by 9. I haven't had a bedtime that early since elementary school. Anyways, I didn't get up until 5:35, so I skipped working out before work with the intention that I'd workout after work. That didn't happen either. I put in ~12.5 hours at work yesterday so by the time I got home I was exhausted and didn't feel like doing anything. Instead, I ate a poached egg, a sun-dried tomato and chicken sausage, and some sweet potato fries while watching season 2 of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and cross-stitching. Did I mention I love cross-stitching? Well, if I didn't, now you know. I started working on a cross-stitch pattern that my mom bought for me in China a couple years ago. So the instructions are all in Chinese, which I definitely don't read. I think I can figure it out from the pictures though. Maybe. Hopefully.

I know you're all worried that I missed a workout, but don't. I'm going to make up the yoga workout this weekend.

In totally non-Paleo news, but maybe interesting facts for some of you... Yesterday I was talking with someone about the benefits of having a pet, and how cats are handy because they are more self-sufficient than dogs. She-who-shall-not-be-named then told me yesterday that you can get leukemia from cats. My initial response was, "What are you talking about? If cancer isn't contagious between people, how do you expect to catch it from a cat?" I referenced the plague and how rats can transmit the disease between humans, but that the plague was transmittable via human-to-human contact as well. So I decided to look it up once I got home and found this from the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine website:

Can people become infected with FeLV? 
Epidemiological and laboratory studies have failed to provide evidence that FeLV can be transmitted from infected cats to humans. Regardless, FeLV-infected cats may carry other diseases. At greatest risk of infection are elderly or immunosuppressed people (e.g., those with AIDS, or receiving immunosuppressive medications such as chemotherapy), infants, and unborn children. It is recommended that pregnant women, people with suppressed immune systems, the very young, and the very old avoid contact with FeLV-infected cats.

That says to me that you cannot catch leukemia from a cat. Cats can infect other cats via bodily fluids (saliva, nasal secretions, urine, feces, etc.), from bites, or during mutual cleaning. Research done! So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment