Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Archery

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Archery

Months ago I created a poll for you to vote on what my next exercise choice should be. Well, it came down to a three-way tie between archery, P90X again, and rowing. So... I had my first archery lesson today. Yes, you read that right... Archery! Who's a badass? Yeah, that'd be me! The only time I had shot a bow and arrow in the past was at renaissance festivals. Every time that I go to a ren fest, I leave with a desire to learn sword-play or archery. Thanks to a handy-dandy LivingSocial voucher, I'm finally getting around to archery. I started off on the short-range and after a few warm-ups where I learned the form, I managed to get four, count that, FOUR bulls-eyes right next to each other. Did I mention I'm a badass? So the instructor switched me to the longer range target. I only got one bulls-eye, but hey, I'm a beginner... give me a break!

Speaking of archery, did you watch the USA men's archery team when they were competing against South Korea? Our boys look like Southern rednecks who go hunting every weekend, whereas the South Koreans looked like their only form of physical activity is pulling back on that cord. I definitely chuckled when I watched it this past Sunday. Another amusing/amazing thing is that the top South Korean archer is legally blind. "In tests of his vision Im Dong-Hyun scores 20/100 and 20/200 in his right and left eyes respectively." Somehow, he still manages to be an amazing archer. And he doesn't want to have corrective surgery because he's afraid it will mess with his archery performance. Crazy!

My entree selection... yum, steak!
It's also Restaurant Week(s), so my friends and I went to out to eat. For those who don't know about restaurant week, a bunch of restaurants put together a special menu for patrons with a portion of the cost being donated to the food bank ($5 for dinner, $3 for brunch/lunch). It's a great excuse for everyone to try out different restaurants and feel good about helping others. Win-win! The downside is that they don't have a ton of options available and some of them aren't completely Paleo-friendly, though can be made so by asking to hold the rice/pasta/grain-product. Plus, the third course offered is dessert and not many places have a Paleo-friendly dessert. However, the restaurant we ate at tonight had coconut ice cream. Huzzah!

And we had two bloggers at our table, so fortunately our friends were nice enough to wait before tucking into their meals so that Shasie and I could snap photos. Shasie is a fashion blogger (Live Life in Style), but she still takes photos of food, like me and our waiter. That's right, we bonded with our waiter about blogging. Once I have some time I'm going to hunt down his blog.


Coconut ice cream, with coconut flakes. Yum again!
I didn't eat this, but my buddy Z had this chocolate tres leches. I didn't realize that was possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment