Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Paleo Mayonnaise

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Paleo Mayonnaise

I know some of you may hate mayonnaise so you mayo-haters can stop reading now.

For my mayo-lovers, or even just mayo-likers out there, this is for you. And I actually got this one to work!!! I even texted BA (my fellow Paleo-ish buddy) last night to alert him of my mayo accomplishment because I was so excited!

Homemade Paleo Mayonnaise
1 egg, pasteurized
2 tsp or more fresh lemon juice
1 tsp water
1/4 teaspoon or more salt
Pinch of pepper (white if you have it)
1 cup pure olive oil

1. Blend the egg with 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp water (you can use a food processor or blender, or whisk it by hand if you'd rather). The water and lemon juice help with stabilizing the emulsion by disrupting the surface tension of the egg.
2. Blend/whisk/process the egg and lemon juice. While you continue mixing using your chosen method, SLOWLY add the oil. Start with drops progressing to a light drizzle once the emulsion forms. The slowness is necessary to create the emulsion (see below). Once the emulsion is created, you can add the oil more quickly.
3. After the oil is incorporated, add the remaining lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

The secret for mayonnaise according to the NY Times is 1 tsp water.

I started off using the whisk and then transferred the frothy mixture to the blender after I had gotten about 4 oz of olive oil mixed in. It hadn't quite formed the emulsion yet, but as soon as I put it into the blender, it started to whip up a bit more.


My next step is to replace the olive oil with bacon fat resulting in Baconnaise! You just can't go wrong with that. I want to make a BLT where the bacon is actually baconnaise.

Definition Time
An emulsion is mixture of two liquids that are usually immiscible (unable to be combined). An emulsion is a colloid in which both the continuous and dispersed phases are liquid. Examples of emulsions include milk and vinaigrette dressing.

Types of Colloids 

Dispersed Phase


Gas
Liquid
Solid
Continuous Phase
Gas
N/A
Liquid Aerosol
Solid Aerosol
Liquid
Foam
Emulsion
Sol
Solid
Solid Foam
Gel
Solid Sol

Music of the day: Steel Magnolia - Last Night Again

The recipe that I tried last time that failed on me was:
2 egg yolks
3 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup coconut oil, liquid
Salt
Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment