Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Catching a Crab

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Catching a Crab

No, I did not capture any crustaceans while I was at the beach, though Dave did catch some using the crab traps. And no, I don't mean catching a STD. Come on, y'all... what type of girl do you think I am? Maybe I should remind you that I'm a rower...

In crew, the term "catching a crab" refers to your oar accidentally getting "stuck" in the water. It can be caused by improperly squaring/feathering the oar. Catching a crab slows the entire boat down and, if it's a really bad crab, can swing back, hit you in the chest, and knock you out of the boat. The reason I mention this is because for the past few nights I've had dreams about rowing and back in my prime I used to dream of the perfect stroke. I did everything right. My slide was slow, my drive was powerful, and I feathered and squared up like a champ. Rowing consists of a few key components: the catch, the drive, the finish, and the recovery.

The Catch: Your blade is squared (perpendicular) to the water with your arms stretched out in front of you and your knees bent. When you are scrunched up, you gently drop your oar into the water.
The Drive: 1) Straighten your knees. 2) Lean back. 3) Pull your arms to your chest. This is where the power comes from.
The Finish: Your legs are straightened, you've leaned back, and the oar handle is right in front of your chest. You push your outer hand down slightly to get the entire blade out of the water and you twist your inner wrist to turn the blade so that it's parallel to the water's surface.
The Recovery: With your hands close to your lap, you straighten your arms (keeping your oar level), lean forward, and slowly bend your knees (in that order) until you reach the position you were in at the catch. This last part is called the slide.
Rinse and repeat.

Unfortunately, lately I've dreamed of catching crabs. It's a terrible feeling to wake up after dreaming that you failed to deliver. My team was counting on me and I tripped them up, slowed them down, and unintentionally sabotaged my team's chances of a win. I think it's an analogy for my life right now. I'm not being as diligent about exercising and eating healthy, and ultimately, I'm just hurting myself and my goals. Cue the sad music... Can I get a womp womp?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is a sign that you should start rowing again. Rowing is becoming more and popular.

    ReplyDelete