Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: The Pitiful Sick

Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Pitiful Sick

I've been feeling a little under the weather since I got back from my last trip to the beach (a.k.a. the past two weeks). After going for a run this past Tuesday, I got a sore throat and from there the sinus pressure, stuffy nose, and cough has developed. My best guess is that I've come down with a sinus infection. I don't know if any of you have ever felt pressure building behind your cheeks, nose, and eyes, but let me tell you, it's not pleasant. The pressure is so much that it vaguely feels as though my head isn't really my head. It made me think of a balloon that you blow up till it's about to burst. All that's necessary to cause it to pop is a sharp point (kind of similar to the sharp pains in my ears). Poor balloon.

I feel like it should be fall. I think it's the fact that I used to get ever year in the fall that has developed my association between a cold, flu, or sinus infection and autumn. I'm currently watching the Olympics (men's gymnastics to be precise), so I know that it's summertime and not fall; however, I keep expecting cooler temperatures so walking outside into 100F temperatures is a shock. But then again, I'm also wearing sweats and a sweater, and standing with my head over a pot of boiling water. The pot of boiling water is my mom's solution to clearing out my sinuses ("plus it's good for the complexion"). I always hated it because, in case you didn't know, steam gets really hot... and it doesn't feel too pleasant on my face. And since when does 75 degrees cause me to wear sweats in bed and huddle under the covers? Unless my thermometer is broken,my temp is 96.6. Can you get a reverse fever from a cold/sinus infection? Is that possible?

I've been gulping down tea for the past four days. Today, I switched to alternating between sips of chicken broth and water. I have a fondness for Swanson 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth, which I developed when I had my tonsils removed 3.5 years ago. A cup of the aforementioned broth, heated in the microwave for 46 seconds was perfect for my recovering throat. I don't drink coffee and I'm not a huge fan of tea, so for a couple months after my surgery, my morning hot beverage became chicken broth. Weird, I know. But think about it... don't you love chicken noodle soup?Doesn't it make you feel slightly better? To me, it's as close as I'm going to get to the warm and fuzzy feeling of a doting mother's love and attention. Soooo, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work (yes, I went into work on a Saturday), and bought two 48-oz containers of chicken broth. I also grabbed a pound of chicken, some celery, and some carrots. The result was a chicken and vegetable soup. I also bought a Naked Juice Power-C Machine because I figured I needed the extra vitamin C.

Chicken and Vegetable Soup
1 lb chicken breast, chopped
3 Tbls olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
48-oz chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 lb carrots, chopped
1 bunch of celery chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

In a quart size Ziploc bag, mix 2 Tbls olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp parsley, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, and chopped chicken breast. Seal and shake/mold to evenly distribute the marinade. Put in the fridge for 2 hours.

After you've chopped all of the veggies, heat 1 Tbls of olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook thoroughly. After the chicken is cooked, put the chicken, veggies, and chicken broth into a crock pot. Add an extra 1/2 tsp of parsley, rosemary, and thyme, and a 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper. Set on high for 4 hours. Veggies should be soft once the soup is done cooking.




No comments:

Post a Comment