Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Sleep/Time Management

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sleep/Time Management

I mentioned yesterday that there are a few things that I'm having a hard time aligning with the Paleo Lifestyle. One of those is Sleep. It's hard to fully live the Paleo Lifestyle with my schedule. To do so, I should to go to bed without setting an alarm and wake up when I feel rested. Assuming that's 8 hours of sleep, if I intend to wake up at 5:30 a.m., that means I have to go to bed by 9:30 p.m. It's darn near impossible to fit in 10 hours of work, 2 hours of getting ready for work and commuting to/from work, .5-1.5 hours for lunch, 1-1.5 hours of working out, 1.5 hours for cooking/eating dinner, and 8 hours of sleep. Out of my entire day, I have less than one hour free, assuming I don't take more than 30 minutes for lunch and don't workout for more than one hour. It's hard to make time for social activities during the week, unless it involves food which takes care of my cooking. I know this makes me seem like a hermit and I'm really not. I like being around people most of the time. The problem is that if I do something with friends besides just eat dinner, I'm almost guaranteed to be out past my bedtime (apparently the bedtime aspect of childhood is revisited once you have to become a responsible adult - or at least one that gets migraines from lack of sleep). I'll give you one guess what part of my day gets cut short when I stay out later than intended. Need a hint? There's something about REM cycles involved. And when I cut that short, I'm tired, cranky, and headachey the next day, which is no fun, in case you were wondering.

Sometimes I wonder how other people do it all. Michelle from Nom Nom Paleo has two boys, works at a full-time job that sometimes gives her night shifts, does CrossFit, and manages to blog every day. And I swear Juli from PaleOMG cooks or bakes every single day, she almost always has a new recipe on her blog. Do these people not require sleep? Or are fortunate enough to not work 10-hour days? What is the secret? Man I wish I had a Time-Turner like Hermione.

No comments:

Post a Comment