Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Whole 30 - Day 27

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Whole 30 - Day 27

Lots of photos tonight. There's nothing I'd like more than to go straight to bed, but I'm taking a few minutes to share my day with you. I cheated again today. I had gluten-free beer. Two days in a row of cheating? Yeah... I thought about saying no, but I decided to drink it. Let me explain why...

After falling asleep around 11 last night, I woke up a few times throughout the night because my hotel room got really cold. The first time was around 1 a.m., and I got up to turn down the air. The second time was about 4 a.m., but I just burrowed under the covers more. Then I woke up at 5 a.m. and burrowed further. My alarm finally went off at 5:45, but I didn't roll out of bed until 6, after my second alarm went off. I had laid out everything last night, so it didn't take me long to head to the front desk to check out at 6:30 a.m. and then grab some of the eggs at their free breakfast. I'm pretty sure everyone at breakfast that early was there for the regatta (registration started at 6:30).

Anyways, I drove the quarter-mile to the boathouse and we started setting up camp for the day. After a brief course/safety session, we starting getting on the water for the first races. My races were at 8:30, 9:30, and 10:30, though everything kind of fell behind, so I spent probably 90% of my time from 7:50 a.m. to 11:50 a.m. on the water. I rowed 18,000 m today. When you're not racing, you're helping your other teammates with their boats or their oars so that they can launch their boats from the docks. Or you're scarfing down some sort of sustenance in between guzzling water. Once our races were done, we all celebrated with a beer or two (just one gluten-free beer for me), before de-rigging all of our boats for transport back to our boathouse. (We remove the riggers which hold our oars in place so that we can fit all of our boats on one trailer and so that the trailer can be towed without smacking into cars on either side.) Once everything was loaded, all of our garbage collected, and our tent and chairs stowed in our cars, we made the 4.5-hour drive back to our boathouse for unloading and rigging the boats, storing our oars, pushing the trailer back into the back of our boathouse, hanging the slings, and carrying the boats to their proper racks in the boathouse.

This all finished around 9 p.m. I made a quick stop at Whole Foods to grab some food for dinner, but by the time I got home around 9:45, I wasn't hungry anymore. I dragged myself to my room, showered, and started this post. Sigh... I'm too tired to be hungry, but apparently not tired enough to skip out on this.

So with all of the rowing, carrying boats up hills, and general weight-lifting as we overhead press our boats onto the trailers or to avoid hitting things, I decided I deserved a beer... in a social setting. Granted, it probably wasn't the smartest decision from a dehydration standpoint, but I don't feel guilty about it. All I feel right now is tired and sore and a little sunburned.

So to wrap this up, here are some photos from today. I only took photos after I had finished my races, and I don't have any of me actually racing... maybe someone else took some...

Yve and I after our races
Mixed Masters Quad
Watching as boats are brought down to the dock
One of the women in my quad today is on crutches, but she stilled rowed in two races = Dedication!
The row of boats (haha, get it?)
Beaker came to watch
Relaxing/collapsing after our races
And enjoying a gluten-free beer. Judge away.

No comments:

Post a Comment