Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Highland Games Celebration

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Highland Games Celebration

I'm done with the Whole 30! Woo hoo! (Though I'll be telling you about something else tomorrow) To celebration, I went to the Sherwood Forest Faire Highland Games (a.k.a. Celtic Music Festival). One of the coolest things about this highland games is that anyone can participate in the events. You have to enter the competition in advance, but you can sign up to participate, even if you've never tried a caber toss or stone throw before. My friends MG and KAOS told me a couple years ago that I should try it. I considered it. I even looked online for the entry requirements, but decided I didn't want to invest in a kilt. While I do love kilts, they're intended for men... just in case you're unfamiliar with the concept of kilts. "It's only a skirt if you wear something under it."

Anywho, we watched men and women throw trees and stones for a little while... long enough for me to get a light sunburn.

We watched a musical performance...

I drank mead and tried on a suit of armor...
And best of all, I did ax throwing AND knife throwing. A-MAZ-ING!!!! I've got skills, yo!

I got TWO axes on the target. Thank you, Viking heritage!

I'm better at ax throwing than knife throwing. So if you see me coming with an ax, beware! Just kidding! It is fun to learn new (though old-school) skills.

I was then sorely disappointed by this Paleo Puffin sign... apparently Paleo stands for coffee. And did puffins exist in the Paleolithic era? Oh well. My hopes of finding grass-fed meat were brutally dashed. But my ax- and knife-throwing escapades kept my spirits up!

On the way home, I stopped at a Buc-ee's, and saw this cute little guy outside...

Hope you enjoyed the slideshow of my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment