Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

Monday, September 23, 2013

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

I think this may be one of the dishes that I was most excited about making. It's been on my list of foods to Paleo-ify for over a year, but I just never got around to it. I think I was a bit intimidated of attempting an Indian dish, which I've never ever tried before. And there's a large number of ingredients, but it's all pretty easy to throw together, especially when you do a slow-cooker version. Win! It tastes delicious. And if you're like me and don't eat a ton of meat at each meal, this concoction can last you for a while. I made this last Thursday. So far, I've had it for breakfast on Friday, breakfast and dinner on Saturday, breakfast and dinner on Sunday, and breakfast, lunch, and dinner today. And I've still got enough left for another 4-5 meals. That's a total of 12-13 meals, that I got out of one crock pot. Double win!

Anyways, I hope you LOVE this as much as I do! And did I mention that this is Whole 30 and 21DSD-friendly? Well, now I have...


Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

3 lb chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbls grated ginger
2 small jalapeƱos, stemmed, sliced in half, and seeded
1 - 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, salt-free
1 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, whole
3 Tbls tomato paste
2 Tbls coconut oil
2 Tbls lemon juice
2 Tbls Garam Masala
1 Tbls cumin
1/2 Tbls paprika
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper (for extra spice, add an extra 1-2 tsp)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 can coconut milk (shake well before opening)
cilantro, chopped for serving

1. Mix all of the ingredients, excluding the chicken in a large bowl.




2. Pour half of the tomato mixture and half of the can of coconut milk into the slow-cooker. Add the chicken, then cover with the remaining ingredients.

3. Set on low for 8 hours.

4. Remove bay leaves and jalapeƱo.
5. Serve by itself or over cauliflower rice.

1 comment:

  1. You show two cans of coconut milk but only list one. Which is correct? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete