Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Wild-Caught Snapper

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wild-Caught Snapper

Monday night, Z and I watched MirrorMask before doing the P90X workout of the day - Plyometrics (a.k.a. "the mother of all workouts" according to Tony). The workout ended up being a bit later in the day than I normally do mine, but having someone to work out with is awesome. I focused more on my technique and my competitive edge made me jump higher than I normally would by myself. And I got to talk to someone while I worked out, though I don't think he appreciated it so much (sorry, Z!). On the down side, my ankle angrily reminded me that I'm not supposed to jump at all - doctor's orders. The ice pack was super painful last night, to the point that I was writhing in pain once I strapped the ice onto my ankle. I toughed it out though and my ankle was a bit nicer today.

In an effort to try a new type of fish, I recently bought wild-caught Snapper at the nearby grocery store, where the butcher just told me I had a beautiful smile that brightened his day. He commented that my eyes are beautiful and unique and he hoped that he had brightened my day too. It made me smile, so mission accomplished. Plus, getting a compliment is a nice way to start attempting to cook something new. Here's what I did...

Snapper with Tomatoes
Snapper with Tomatoes and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Snapper fillet (~1 pound). Get wild-caught if possible/affordable.
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 leek
1 clove garlic
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
1 tbls lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Check the fish to ensure that all bones and scales have been removed (run your finger over the meat). Season with salt and pepper. Combine the tomatoes and leeks in a bowl with olive oil. Season with fresh-minced garlic, salt, and pepper.

Arrange the fish on the baking sheet, followed by the tomato mixture. Splash with lemon juice. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the snapper is cooked through. Remove from skin (should come off easily) and plate with tomatoes.
Before cooking                                                                                       After cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment