Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Homemade Lärabar

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Homemade Lärabar

Lärabars are kosher, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, and vegan. They are made with unsweetened fruits (dates, apples, bananas, blueberries, cherries, raisins), nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, peanuts), spices (cinnamon, ginger, cocoa powder, coconut, sea salt). Using these ingredients, the current flavors are below. I've crossed out the ones containing peanuts.
  1. Apple Pie
  2. Banana Bread
  3. Blueberry Muffin
  4. Carrot Cake
  5. Cashew Cookie
  6. Cherry Pie
  7. Chocolate Chip Brownie
  8. Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte
  9. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  10. Chocolate Coconut Chew
  11. Coconut Cream Pie
  12. Ginger Snap
  13. Key Lime Pie
  14. Lemon
  15. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
  16. Peanut Butter Cookie
  17. Peanut Butter & Jelly
  18. Pecan Pie
  19. Tropical Fruit Tart
Last week I was in a rush before work and didn't have time to cook something before running out of the door, so I stopped at the grocery store on the way into work to grab some pre-cut carrots and celery. While I was standing in line to check out, I saw some Lärabars on sale and vaguely remembered trying some at the race expo before my first half marathon in 2011. I picked up a bar and flipped it over to see the ingredients... "Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Non-GMO [genetically modified organism], Vegan, Kosher"... so I grabbed Cashew Cookie and Apple Pie. They were surprisingly good. I ate the Apple Pie once I landed in Atlanta and I let my mom try a piece. The expression on her face was priceless! It was a mix of "ugh, gross" and "something must be wrong with my daughter that she actually likes this." When I told her there's no added sugar, she replied, "Oh! It's pretty good then." Well I like it, and I feel like I appreciate flavors more, now that I'm not covering everything up with salt and sugar.

This coming weekend I'm going camping with some friends. We've been utilizing email and a google spreadsheet to figure out what we'll be eating and who's bringing what food, gear, etc. Based on our meal plan, I know there are some meals that I won't be able to eat, such as hot dogs, prepackaged trail mix, and cinnamon rolls. Because I don't want to impose my eating habits on everyone else, I'm going to bring some food to replace those meals. One of the things I'm going to bring is homemade Lärabars. These are the recipes for the ones I made Tuesday night:

This is really similar in appearance to actual Lärabars
 Apple Pie (made 4)
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup dried apples, unsweetened
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp water

Pumpkin Pie (made 3)
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup cashews
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp water

Ingredients for Apple Pie
Use a food processor or blender to breakdown the dates/fruit into a paste. Transfer the paste to a separate bowl. Put the nuts in the blender and pulse until chopped small, but not to the point that you form flour/meal. Mix the nuts, dates/fruit, and spices together in a bowl. If your mixture isn't binding together, add a little bit of water. Once the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, measure out 1/4 cup of the mixture for each bar and form into bar shape. This is more cleanly done if you roll the 1/4 cup of mixture into a piece of saran wrap before shaping the bar. Repeat for all bars and then place the wrapped bars into a ziploc bag. Store in the fridge - this allows the shape to firm up. There you go. Homemade Lärabars!

No comments:

Post a Comment