Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Why Paleo? Part 2 - Migraines

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Why Paleo? Part 2 - Migraines

I'm one of those unfortunate people who gets migraines and has headaches on a daily basis. It's a family thing I guess, because my dad gets the same sort of thing and he's learned that his headaches are triggered by changes in pressure (a.k.a. weather) and correlates to eating wheat gluten. I know that my headaches correlate very strongly with a lack of sleep (as I've experienced lately), and my headaches usually get worse right after I eat, regardless of what I eat (though the intensity may vary). Additionally, the other week my doctor told me that processed foods can cause migraines. Well, Paleo fits in REALLY well with that. And the result is that my daily headaches aren't as bad and sometimes take a day off from tormenting me.

A migraine is a throbbing headache usually associated with nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and/or sound. Usually the headache is focused on one side of the head. The exact chain of events that cause a migraine are still unclear. It's theorized that migraines are caused by swollen blood vessels in the brain pressing on nearby nerves. The attack begins in the brain, and involves nerve pathways and chemicals, affecting blood flow in the brain and surrounding tissues (1). Migraines are often seen in adults 25 to 55 years old (2).

Migraine symptoms vary based on the individual and the trigger. Most of them occur without warning, though some warning signs may include:
  • Aura (usually vision disturbances)
  • Numbness or tingling in lips, face, or hands
  • Weakness in arms or legs
  • Difficulty focusing
The "migraine hangover" are symptoms that linger after the migraine has passed:
  • Feeling mentally dull, like your thinking is not clear or sharp
  • Increased need for sleep
  • Neck pain
The following are a list of common triggers (1):
  • Caffeine withdrawal
  • Changes in hormone levels during a woman's menstrual cycle or with the use of birth control pills. (Women are 3 times more likely to have migraines than men by their early 20s.)
  • Changes in sleep patterns
  • Exercise or other physical stress
  • Missed meals
  • Smoking or exposure to smoke
  • Alcohol
  • Stress and anxiety
  • Certain odors or perfumes
  • Loud noises or bright lights
And now for a list of common food triggers (1) (I've highlighted the ones that the Paleo diet excludes):
  • Any processed, fermented, pickled, or marinated foods
  • Foods containing monosodium glutamate (MSG)
  • Chocolate
  • Nuts
  • Peanut butter
  • Dairy
  • Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and certain beans)
  • Fruits
  • Meats containing nitrates (bacon, hot dogs, salami, cured meats - a.k.a. processed)
  • Onions
There are three types of medication to take as a preventative measure:

  • Blood pressure medication
  • Anti-depressants
  • Anti-seizure

In fall 2010, I had done my own little experiment where I went gluten-free for a month and a half to see how my body responded to it. Gluten-free resulted in fewer headaches than when I ate gluten. Also, the number of stomachaches I experienced decreased when I didn't eat gluten. To be honest, switching to the Paleo diet has actually been easier for me than just doing gluten-free. My assumed reasoning for this is that I still wanted wheat bread, crackers, and the like, because I was eating other grains. Sure I sometimes want chips and salsa or bread now, but it's easier for me to restrain myself.

Plus the paleo lifestyle promotes exercise and sleep. It's recommended that you go to sleep when it's dark out and even blackout your room (already done!). You shouldn't use an alarm, instead you should wake up when you feel rested. This infographic is decent summary of the history of today's version of the paleo diet. I'm set on the exercise front, but I need some work on setting aside time for sleep.

References:
1. "Migraine," PubMed Health; A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001728/
2. "Understanding Migraines," Relpax; http://www.relpax.com/understanding.aspx?source=google&HBX_PK=s_migraine&HBX_OU=50&o=32174861|210521462|0&skwid=43700003069423602

No comments:

Post a Comment