Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Meat with salad

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Meat with salad

It's been a tad on the hectic side lately, so I'm really thankful for all of the leftovers that I have from this past week. Looking back now at these photos, I feel like I was a little lazy this past week with my meals. My office buddy joked at all of my meals were meat with salad, but in different arrangements. Truer words have not been spoken. I do need to work on my inventiveness, but give me some time to get into the swing of things. Below are some of the photos from this past week's meals.

Tuesday lettuce wrap
Wednesday's salad
Beef Stew for lunch on Monday. Tuesday's lunch was a lettuce wrap. I put pork chops, grape tomatoes, and mushrooms inside a large leaf of iceberg lettuce, folded over the edges and dug in. This was intended to be a chicken wrap, but I managed to grab the tupperware with pork chops instead of chicken. Oops. Fortunately it all worked out. My salad on Wednesday was very similar to Tuesday's wrap/sandwich, but differed in the type of lettuce and type of meat (I managed to grab the chicken this time). Oh, and I added broccoli and topped it off with a little balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Thursday lunch out was a turkey burger (minus the bun) and a fruit cup.

Friday morning breakfast
Every morning except for Friday I ate frittata with chipotle and guacamole. It's a little monotonous, but it's yummy. I'm still trying to figure out different breakfast ideas. Most of the breakfasts that I would have eaten pre-Paleo were grain- or dairy-based. There was cereal with milk, oatmeal, muffins, bagels, toast, eggs, yogurt, smoothies made with yogurt, hash-browns, etc. This is everything that is paleo from that list: eggs.


My dinner tonight consisted of a pork chop over wilted spinach with garlic, roasted broccoli, and a side salad. Notice the leafy greens... I'm working on my calcium. A hint to everyone who doesn't like broccoli or vegetables in general. Roasted tastes way better and is really easy. I did two types of roasted broccoli: garlic and red pepper, and basil and rosemary. I prefer the garlic and red pepper ones, but I've listed the ingredients that I used below.
Roasted Broccoli - Garlic and Red Pepper
1/2 pound broccoli, rinsed and trimmed
1 tlbs olive oil
3/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 tsp crushed red pepper

Roasted Broccoli - Basil and Rosemary
1/2 pound broccoli, rinsed and trimmed
1 tlbs olive oil
1/3 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Cut broccoli into small bite-sized pieces, and put into a large mixing bowl. Add all ingredients (for the particular type of roasted broccoli you're making) and toss. Spread seasoned broccoli onto a pan and cook for 13 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Eat and enjoy.

How To: Wilted Spinach - possibly the easiest thing you could do
1 pound spinach, washed and thoroughly dried
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tbls olive oil

Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, cooking until the garlic is soft but not colored. Reduce heat to medium-low and add spinach. Cook until spinach turns dark green and reduces significantly in size, stirring often. Done. That wasn't hard, was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment