Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: It's 5 o'clock in the morning...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It's 5 o'clock in the morning...

Good morning, Bright and Early. Today was my 30th workout with P90X. 30 days!! Which means I'm 1/3 of the way done! This also means that for the last 4 weeks, I've been waking up every weekday morning at 5:00 a.m. I no longer set an alarm for the weekends, because I still wake up relatively early when I "sleep in." Nothing new there.

I used to wake up early for work, but now I wake up early for working out, which is vastly preferred. However, it's still difficult to wake up every morning especially when I don't go to bed until midnight. To deal with that early morning "Do I have to? Five more minutes...", I've set two alarms. My cell phone is set for 5:00 a.m. This first one is next to my bed so I don't have to move very far to turn it off, and it's only vaguely annoying. At 5:01 a.m., my second alarm located on my dresser across the room goes off. This one is vastly more annoying and will get louder and louder the longer I ignore it. It's a pretty good incentive to get out of bed. Fortunately I don't have one of those alarm clocks that rolls around until you catch it to shut it off. I feel like that would be a really frustrating way to wake up. I mean, who really wants to fumble around under the bed searching for a stupid alarm that won't stop? My system works well for me. For one minute I have a debate with myself over whether I should let myself sleep in or get out of bed and do P90X. My second alarm goes off and it's problem solved. I'm already out of bed, so I might as well start my day.

Tonight I made Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup. The recipe is from Nom Nom Paleo. I changed up the proportions a bit, but not much (mainly just with regards to the leeks, onion, and shallots). I had planned on making basil pesto with spaghetti squash, but apparently basil farmers in Texas have decided to conspire against me so that isn't any fresh basil available at the grocery store. I even tried two stores today.

Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup
2 tbls of butter
3 leeks, white parts only, sliced thinly
1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
2 medium shallots, roughly chopped
1.25 pounds of trimmed and roughly chopped broccoli
¼ apple, diced
1 quart of organic free-range chicken broth
1 heaping tsp of curry powder
1 cup of coconut milk
Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sliced leeks

Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Then add and sauté the leeks, onions, and shallots until soft. 
After sauteing
  Add the broccoli, apple, and chicken broth.
 
 

Cover and bring to a boil for 4 minutes (start timing once you get to the boil). Reduce heat to low, uncover, and simmer for 25 minutes.


After boiling and simmering
Once the broccoli is soft, transfer the veggies and chicken broth to a blender and blend until smooth (you'll probably have to do this in batches).


Put back into the pot, add the curry powder, salt, and pepper. Add coconut milk and bring to a boil again. Boil for 5 minutes.
The result!



I also made banana bread, paleo style. This recipe was taken from Health-Bent.

Paleo Banana Bread
1 cup almond butter (I used a little less than 1 cup because I ran out)
1 cup almond flour
3 medium brown, spotty bananas (I had two bananas in the freezer intended for banana bread, plus one ripe banana)
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix all of the ingredients together, making sure the banana is mashed and there aren't any visible chunks.

Batter should look like this when before pouring into loaf pan. 
Fill a loaf pan with the mixture and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is firm to the touch. Let cool. Eat.
(I sprinkled my slice with cinnamon and I think 1 tsp of cinnamon in the bread would suffice. Test it out for yourself to see what you prefer.)



No comments:

Post a Comment