Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Pasta a.k.a. Pizza Meat-za

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pasta a.k.a. Pizza Meat-za

The Pizza Meat-za result
Last Sunday some friends came over to make paleo pasta. My roommate bought me a pasta maker for Christmas and I wanted to give it a try and see if I could make a paleo version of pasta that wasn't a spaghetti squash (I still haven't managed to cook spaghetti squash such that I like the taste of it). Here's what I was planning on doing to make the pasta: 

1 2/3 cup almond flour
2 eggs
1 tsp sea salt

I had some store-bought almond flour and some of the almond flour that I had made myself earlier 
in the day. Unfortunately we learned why I hadn't found a recipe for paleo pasta anywhere... Almonds contain natural oils, which means that it will never really get to the dryness of pasta made with wheat flour. It also means that it's really sticky and heavy and wouldn't have been able to go through the pasta maker without crumbling apart.

What ended up going into the dough was: 
3 3/4 cup almond flour
2 eggs
1 tsp sea salt

We accepted that pasta wasn't going to happen, so we decided to make a pizza out of it. We rolled it out in a pan, and then decided to transfer it to a smaller pan with higher sides to make it a Chicago-style deep dish.
We added a layer of canned fire-roasted organic tomatoes with some basil and parsley mixed in and put the crust plus tomatoes into the oven preheated to 350 F for 15 minutes. While this was baking, we browned some ground beef, sliced sausage, fried and then chopped 2 slices of bacon into 1/2" pieces, wilted some spinach with garlic, and defrosted a handful of frozen artichokes. Once we took the crust with tomatoes out of the oven, we started layering the meats and veggies.
We thought we didn't have enough green, so we topped it off with some spinach
Put the pizza back into the oven for 25 minutes. It looked like this when we took it out:
The first slice...

Pizza Meat-za
I was amazed that the almond crust held it's shape so well

No comments:

Post a Comment