Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: 10 to 15 days?

Saturday, March 24, 2012

10 to 15 days?

This morning as I relaxed in bed I continued my reading of The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. What I read today was somewhat eye-opening. Chapter 6 lists the following problems that can be associated with leaky guy and autoimmune response:

  1. Infertility
  2. Type I diabetes
  3. Multiple sclerosis
  4. Rheumatoid Arthritis
  5. Lupus
  6. Vitiligo (loss of pigment in your skin)
  7. Narcolepsy
  8. Schizophrenia
  9. Autism
  10. Depression
  11. Huntington's
  12. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
  13. Hypothyroidism (the thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone)
  14. Porphyria (manifests as neurological complications or skin problems)
Yikes. I haven't done the research myself, but if even any of this is true, then dear lord, I'm worried.

Also, on page 96 of the book, he encourages you (a.k.a. me, the reader) to reintroduce the foods that are on the "Do not eat" list after 30 to 60 days of following the Paleo diet. This experiment is to see how you feel after eating the "bad" foods again. But this is where I got the disappoining news...

"You only need to be exposed to things like gluten once every ten to fifteen days to keep the gut damaged."

This means that cutting back on gluten doesn't help. And it means that every time I potentially slip up and eat something on the "Do not eat" list (like the beer I had yesterday), it will take another 10 to 15 days for my body to heal itself again. In the words of Scooby Doo: "Ruh roh!"

Note to self: DON'T SLIP UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment