Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Rumspringa

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rumspringa

Rumspringa: a period of adolescence in which boys and girls are given greater personal freedom and allowed to form romantic relationships, usually ending with the choice of baptism into the church or leaving the community. Origin: from Pennsylvania German, literally 'to run around.'

Obviously, I'm not an adolescent anymore. And I'm not Amish, so this doesn't fit perfectly, but just go with me. I had given myself a goal that I would last until May 6th with eating Paleo and would then re-evaluate on whether I feel better than when I didn't eat Paleo.

In the next week, I plan on eating all of the foods that are excluded from the Paleo diet. So I'll be eating pizza, pasta, milk, frozen yogurt (yum!), cheese (double yum!), and everything else related to grains. I swear I've been craving pizza for weeks. In particular I want Mellow Mushroom pizza, mainly for the crust, and I've raved about it to friends who have never heard of MM before. There aren't currently any here, but thankfully, MM is opening a location close(r) to me, so I will wait anxiously until it opens.

In summary, I'm giving myself a week off of Paleo to see how my body responds to non-Paleo foods. I plan to continue living the Paleo way after this week, but if my system can handle these foods without any problems, then maybe I'll reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment