Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Non-Paleo Pumpkin Trifle

Monday, November 5, 2012

Non-Paleo Pumpkin Trifle

OMG. This is seriously to die for. It's delicious, but unfortunately not Paleo, so for all of you Paleo people out there, this is a delicious dessert to make for your non-Paleo friends, just to prove that you can bake. I didn't plan on eating anything, but then when I saw my friends going back for second- and third- helpings, I couldn't help myself. My immediate reaction was something along the lines of "OMG! This is soooo good! Holy crap! Damn, I'm good."

The way this worked is that I baked a batch of non-Paleo pumpkin chocolate chip bars. This can easily be substituted with my paleo version of the pumpkin bars. Then whip up a batch of pumpkin pudding. I used 1 large box of vanilla pudding mix, one 15-oz can of pumpkin puree, 2 tsp pumpkin spice, and 2 cups of skim milk; refrigerate for 2 hours. The third layer was homemade whipped cream, which consisted of 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 2.5 Tbls of powdered sugar, and 2 tsp of vanilla. Start with a layer of the pumpkin chocolate chip bars, followed by the pudding, and then the whipped cream. Repeat until your trifle dish or bowl is full. Refrigerate overnight, and then wow your guests. Yep. It's that easy. Also, I highly recommend the overnight refrigeration - it allows the pudding and pumpkin bars to meld a bit and get nice and soft. Yum!!!

Check back tomorrow for a Paleo pumpkin pudding recipe! And on Wednesday you can witness the savory  pumpkin dish that I baked this weekend.

As a side note, I've started my half marathon training. I believe I have 10 weeks until my race. So today I ran 3 miles, and based on the run today, I think the 4- and 5-mile runs I'm supposed to run later this week won't be too bad. I'll post my training schedule in a couple days in case you're interested. Anyways I mention this because I think I might have sprained my big toe last weekend after my FE exam. It started hurting two Sundays ago, but I didn't think much about it. I saw that it was a little swollen, and I iced it a little bit, assuming that it would just go away. It's not very painful, but it's definitely restricted my choice of footwear to flats. And it kind of hurts to walk, but given my long history of joint pain, this was a minor amount of pain. Because I like to know insignificant details, I measured the circumference of my toes today, and my right toe is 0.7 cm bigger (10% bigger) than my left toe right now. Good to know, right? Is 10% a large increase? It's hard to tell when it's such a small part of your body. So I've taped my big toe to the next toe and have iced it a couple times tonight. If it doesn't get better in a week or so, then I'll go to the doctor. I promise.

Another fun fact, is that around this time last year (October 22, 2011 to be exact), I managed to injure my left ankle while visiting friends in Allentown, PA, which kept me from training for a marathon and deferring to this coming year's race. (Note to self, don't jump into the air and click your heels together when walking on uneven sidewalk.) So 1 year and 5 days later, I hurt my toe? Coincidence? Or a cosmic sign that I shouldn't do long distance running? Feel free to weigh in.

No comments:

Post a Comment