Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Half Marathon Training

Monday, November 12, 2012

Half Marathon Training

Below is my intended training schedule for my half marathon. It's a tad compressed. And even though I'm only on week three, I'm already behind schedule. Fail.

Week
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat
Sun
Total
1
3
Rest
3
3
Rest
4
Rest
13
2
3
Rest
4
3
Rest
5
Rest
15
3
3
Rest
4
3
Rest
6
Rest
16
4
3
Rest
5
3
Rest
8
Rest
19
5
3
Rest
5
3
Rest
10
Rest
21
6
4
Rest
5
4
Rest
11
Rest
24
7
4
Rest
6
4
Rest
12
Rest
26
8
4
Rest
5
4
Rest
9
Rest
22
9
3
Rest
4
3
Rest
8
Rest
18
10
3
Rest
3
Walk 2
Rest
Rest
13.1
21.1

I attempted to run last Friday morning wearing my Vibrams, but my right big toe, left ankle, and right knee were hurting enough to make me switch to the stationary bike in my gym. And after dancing at a series of bars on 6th street and walking around on Friday night and Saturday, I had to come back and ice my left knee and tape my right big toe to it's neighboring toe. I think I'm broken...

So let me just summarize my issues since starting to run again: right toe, left ankle, left knee, and right knee. Is my body telling me something? Maybe that I shouldn't be running? Seriously, I'm concerned about my joints. If it was solely my muscles that were sore, I wouldn't care. And some joint pain is expected, but when I have pretty constant bone-deep pain, should I listen to it?

This is a dilemma that I've been facing for years, ever since I injured my knee playing soccer at age 16. My doctor literally told me that the worst thing I could do for my knee would be to keep playing soccer... So, I played for another year and kept injuring myself because I was favoring my knee, i.e. twisting my ankle, pulling my groin, etc. I didn't play sports for a couple years, and then I got into crew (rowing). Crew was better for my knee because there's no twisting of knees or anything, you're simply bending your knees in straight lines. Granted, I still had knee problems and sometimes got special assignments from my coach because of it. After one regatta over fall break during sophomore year, my coach assigned us the task of running 10 miles over the next couple days, but because of my knee, I got to do 20k on the ergometer (rowing machine). I think I would have preferred running. 20k on the erg can be mind-numbingly boring because your scenery doesn't change. However, at this point, rowing might be my best option... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment