Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

I think I've maybe finally grown up. Just over a month ago I started listening to NPR instead of pop or country music stations. I now almost exclusively listen to NPR. I never used to follow the news; I hated (and still kind of do hate) listening to politics. My source of the news used to be my mom who would call me to inform me of recent goings-on and my ex who was much more into news and international affairs than me. Now, I actually know what's going on around the world. WHO AM I? I'm still not sure what happened a month ago that caused me to start listening to the news. I went to Portland... Can a city cause someone to start following the news? Unlikely. So that's why I'm thinking that I've finally become a grownup. Seriously, I called my mom and told her that I'm growing up. (Clearly I define being a grownup as listening to NPR.) Oh well, this is a baffling change in habits... I wonder how long it will last.

Now back to the good stuff... My pumpkin kick is still going strong. Very strong. I spend my free time thinking of what new pumpkin recipes to make. Okay, not ALL of my free time, but a lot of it.

A couple weeks ago, I decided to bake a Paleo version of the pumpkin chocolate chip bars that I love so much. It's hard to duplicate, and this is the closest that I've come so far. The more I ate, the more I liked it.

Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
1 egg
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
2 Tbls pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbls maple syrup
1.5 Tbls honey
2 Tbls sunbutter (sunflower seed butter)
1 package Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, casein-free, vegan, and kosher)

Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease your baking pan with some coconut oil. Whip the egg with the pumpkin puree, then add the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt together. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and then stir in the maple syrup, honey, and sunbutter. Last step is to fold in the chocolate chips. The mixture will be pretty sticky, but mainly just sticks to itself. This is what it looks like:
Transfer to your oiled baking dish,
  ... and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.

This is what the non-Paleo version looks like:


No comments:

Post a Comment