Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Lack of Stress Migraine

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lack of Stress Migraine

Happy Halloween! In advance... This is the result of my pumpkin carving.


Did you know that you can get a migraine from a lack of stress? I guess your body/brain gets used to a certain level of stress racing through your system. So if you switch to a situation where you no longer have that stress level, you can get a migraine. Personally, I find this particularly cruel. I've talked to my doctor about this and I guess it's also an issue if you switch up your sleep schedule. So on the weekends when you don't HAVE to wake up early, she recommended that you only sleep in for 30 minutes to an hour. For me, that means that instead of waking up at 5 a.m. like I normally do during the week, I should instead sleep in until a whopping 6 a.m. Um, I think not. I did wake up early this past Saturday because I had to take the FE exam. That deserves a resounding WOO HOO!!!! Finally I'm done! I find myself missing all of the time that I've spent at Starbucks over the last couple months. Maybe I'll go hang out and read a book.

Anyways, the reason why I'm sharing this lack of stress migraine knowledge is because that's my theory for why I had a migraine all day yesterday. I woke up at 6 a.m. to the shrill of my alarm and to the "blinding light" of my room. (I'd like to point out that I have black out curtains hanging from my walls, so the small amount of light that gets into my bedroom is the light of the street lamp outside that sneaks in around the corners of the curtains.) After leaving voicemails and sending emails to my supervisors from my cell phone (which was glaringly bright by the way), I fumbled around for my eye mask and curled back under my covers into my light-free sanctuary. I refused to venture forth until 11. I sat in a dark room for a vast majority of the day. I made a brief and well-shaded trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to buy myself a new pillow with the hopeful intention that this pillow won't magnify throbbing headaches when I'm trying to fall asleep. I don't know if anyone else has this, but whenever I had a headache when I'm trying to fall asleep, the pressure that the pillow puts on my head is enough to make the head pain double. The pillow is too hard. Doesn't make a lot of sense, right? Pillows are meant to be soft.

So beware... beware of the lack of stress! Bwuah ha ha...

Pork Tenderloin and Pears
1.5 lb pork tenderloin
2 pears, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp thyme

Cut off the silver skin of the tenderloin (click on this video for a demo). Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Heat a skillet (cast iron if you have it) over the burner and cook the tenderloin for 3 minutes on each side. 

While you're searing the tenderloin, preheat your oven to 450F and slice your pears. If you used a cast iron skillet, line your pear slices around the tenderloin in the skillet. Otherwise, transfer the tenderloin to a baking dish and line with pear slices. 
Before
After
Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.



No comments:

Post a Comment