Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: 21DSD Day 10 - Feeling Good

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

21DSD Day 10 - Feeling Good

I mentioned the other week that my co-workers and I are doing a weight loss competition with $200 in the pot. As of today, I'm winning with a loss of 4% of my body weight. One of my co-workers asked how I did it, and my response was, "I gave up sugar and alcohol." I find that most people would be willing to give up sugar, but not alcohol. Fortunately, I am one of the few who cares about my health enough to try to give my body a break, and let me tell you, there's something awesome about not having crazy food or alcohol hangovers. I haven't had too many bad headaches and I haven't had any instances where I ate grains or dairy and ended up passed out on the couch because my head felt so foggy and my body so lethargic that I had no other choice.

I get daily emails about 21DSD that correspond with my start date. One of the cool things about the e-book is that it grants you access to daily emails based on the start date of your choice. So I've woken up to a new email from Diane Sanfilippo every day for the last 10 days. I haven't really needed much motivation, but it's a nice reminder every morning that I'm going to eat healthy today.

Speaking of food. Today was a atypical day for me. I wasn't hungry this morning. Seriously, I didn't eat any breakfast and I really only ate lunch because I attended a lunch and learn on career development, at which they provided food. Our lunch consisted of assorted deli sandwiches, so I grabbed a few of the choices, pulled off the bread and cheese, and had a mediocre lunch of ~1 chicken breast, a slice of ham, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles. I figured that I should eat something today, and 11:30 a.m. seemed like a good time to start. I snacked on 6 carrots around 2:30 p.m., and then ate two eggs and some coconut butter at 9 tonight, which is a late dinner for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I ate when I was hungry. I wasn't snacking incessantly throughout the day which is what my normal reaction is to a day at work. Usually, I'm either stressed or bored, and as I already admitted to y'all, I tend to eat when I experience those emotions/states of being. I'm pretty excited about not craving chocolate all day, which is really detrimental when I know that one of my co-workers keeps a supply available at her desk. On the bright side, she does know that I gave up sugar, so if I come wandering over and raid the candy stash, she'll know, as will some of my other co-workers. Accountability, people. Use it! If you're doing a 21DSD, spread the word. Some people may try to peer-pressure you into cheating or slipping, but others may cheer you on... or at least make you feel guilty if you start to dig into a bar of chocolate.

So maybe this is an improvement in my eating habits? Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment