Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Pork Roast and Sauerkraut

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pork Roast and Sauerkraut

During my New Year's trip to Jamaica, I spent much of my time laying by the pool and reading. While my friends were reading what I assume were mystery and romance novels, I was learning about cholesterol, blood sugar, and omega-3s via It Starts With Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. In the book, they mentioned that eating fermented foods is good for you because it introduces probiotics to the gut. Yay for healthy gut bacteria! One popular fermented food is sauerkraut, something that I have always STRONGLY disliked. My mom loves the stuff and I remember hating being in the kitchen when she heated up a batch of sauerkraut. I disliked the smell so much that I had a hard time convincing myself to even try it. Well, after reading It Starts With Food, I decided to give it a try. The result was...

Pork Roast with Sauerkraut
1 large jar of sauerkraut
2.5 lbs pork roast/loin
salt and pepper

1. Rinse and trim the pork roast as necessary.
2. Spread ~1/2 cup of sauerkraut over the bottom of a crock-pot.
3. Place the pork roast on top of the sauerkraut and dump the rest of the sauerkraut over and around the pork roast.
4. Set crock pot on low for 8 hours. Leave during the day or overnight.
5. Remove the pork from the crock-pot. Pull out a couple forks and start pulling pork so you get the nice shredded look.
6. Serve hot with your ideal amount of sauerkraut. It tastes good with Dijon mustard.

I recommend storing the sauerkraut and pork separately, especially if you're like me and still have questionable feelings toward sauerkraut. I admit that the pork with sauerkraut tasted good, but I think that sauerkraut will be an infrequent visitor to my dining room table, which is an improvement over my previous sauerkraut ban.

1 comment:

  1. i know this was posted a year ago, but here goes.. try adding some green apple chunks, and caraway seed, along with onions in your slow cooker. it will be good!

    ReplyDelete