Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Lemon-Paprika Salmon

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Lemon-Paprika Salmon

It's the second day of my Virgin Diet. Nothing new to report. As I mentioned yesterday, the Virgin Diet isn't significantly different from how I normally eat. However, thanks to the handy website PaleoTrack.com, I noticed that during these past two days my protein intake has increased and my carb intake has decreased. And by carb I mean starchy veggies and fruits. So I'm falling into the ketosis/intermittent fasting range of carb intake, or < 50 g of carbohydrates. Reference this graph here. I had talked about ketosis the other week as a way of potentially reducing my migraine frequency, but I never really expected to do it. Seriously, I had already cut down on so many things, that the idea of cutting down on my fruit/starchy carbs intake was unappealing. Yet here I am now, cutting down on fruits. Ketosis, here I come... Let's see how long I can keep it up without having a bad day or a weak moment and attacking an entire bag of dried fruit (dried mango has become my weakness over the last couple months... curse you, Trader Joe's for have unsulphured, unsweetened dried fruit). In the meantime, get some Omega-3's into your diet with this salmon.

Lemon-Paprika Salmon

1 wild-caught Coho salmon fillet
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tsp lemon juice (or orange juice)
1 Tbls olive oil

1. Mix the garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil together in a small bowl.

2. Coat the salmon on both sides with the mixture, and place in a covered container in the fridge for half an hour.
3. Set oven to broil.
4. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the salmon has turned a light pink shade and is slightly flaky.
5. Let sit for a few minutes and then slice and serve.

Steamed broccoli or asparagus are good side options.

No comments:

Post a Comment