Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Happiness Pass

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Happiness Pass

Today was an interesting and frustrating day. At one point, I was extremely close to driving to the airport and flying off somewhere. In the true spirit of best friends, one of my besties came over after work to cheer me up with a bottle of wine and a few episodes of Hart of Dixie on Netflix. I was intending to go to a yoga class, but a night with a friend ranked much higher on my list. I often feel guilty about skipping out on exercise and I kind of did tonight, but one of the episodes that we watched discussed doing what you want to be happy. If spending two hours playing video games makes you happy, then do it. If splitting a bottle of wine with your best friend makes you happy, do it. That's one of the things that I need to work on in my journey for health. Sure, you're thinking what does wine and video games have to do with being healthy. Well, being physically fit without any physical ailments while simultaneously being unhappy or even miserable doesn't sound very healthy to me.

Ever hear that "laughter is the best medicine?" Or what about the placebo effect? The brain can have a huge effect on your body; it's all part of one person. So when you're working on improving your health, don't forget about working on your mental health. Happiness and health go hand in hand.

You can't only do what you want all of the time because we all have responsibilities of varying degrees, but sometimes you need to give yourself a pass. Things like chores, grocery shopping, and cooking need to be done, but that list of things that you intend to do will probably wait for an extra day or so. Enjoy yourself. Relax. Breathe. Be happy. And eat clean.

And because I took a day to relax and be happy, I resorted to my backup protein again (I'll be needing to run by the grocery store pretty soon). Veggies, eggs, and avocado, with some cumin, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment