Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Thrive Brussels Sprouts

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thrive Brussels Sprouts

Last month, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution published an article about Atlanta restaurant Thrive's Brussels sprouts. While I was in Atlanta two weekends ago, I tried out their recipe, and decided it was good. Yesterday, I decided to make it Paleo by changing the unsalted butter to ghee and using olive oil instead of canola oil (ewww). Oh, I also cooked more Brussels sprouts. See the original recipe here.



3 Tbls EVOO for sauteing
2 cup Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, cut in half
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock (I used chicken broth because I didn't have any stock at home)
1 tablespoon ghee
1/2 tablespoon honey
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste

Heat the EVOO in a skillet over medium heat. Place sprouts cut side down in a single layer. Sear sprouts until they are golden brown, then turn, searing the other side. (I cooked mine a little too long on the first side because I got distracted. It should be about 3 minutes per side.)

Season with a few shakes of salt and pepper. Add vinegar and cook until vinegar has reduced by half. Add chicken broth, ghee, honey and pepper flakes and continue to cook until sauce has reduced to a glaze, about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment