Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Food for Thought

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Food for Thought

My mom sent me a link to an article on Everyday Health titled: "Processed Meat May Kill You, Study Finds." Processed meats include smoked and cured meat (ham, bacon, and sausage), as well as deli meats and meat from fast food restaurants.
“Overall, we estimate that 3 percent of premature deaths each year could be prevented if people ate less than 20 grams of processed meat per day," Sabine Rohrmann, PhD, study author and assistant professor of chronic disease epidemiology at the University of Zurich, said in a statement.
I fully support cutting down on processed meats, especially from fast food restaurants, but I do believe that some minimally-processed meats are acceptable. For example, I'm going to believe that it's okay for me to continue eating grass-fed and/or nitrate-free bacon (based on what's available). When you don't have a lot of options for what to eat, I recommend going for the most Paleo option. If in doubt, aim for the item with the least ingredients. If you're choosing between dried bananas (no-sugar added) and dried bananas made with sugar and canola oil, go for the one that only contains bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment