Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Ham and Veggie Pasta

Friday, March 8, 2013

Ham and Veggie Pasta

I really do think that going Paleo has made me a better cook. I used to have to follow recipes (and for some reason I always went for extremely complicated ones), but now I've gotten more confident in my own skills at throwing something together. Tonight was like that. I didn't know what I wanted to eat so I checked out the fridge/pantry to see what I had available to me. This is what I ended up with:

1 spaghetti squash
1 onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1/4 orange bell pepper, sliced
1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
2 carrots, quartered and sliced
1/2 cup ham, cut into small chunks
1 can diced tomatoes
4 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp basil
3/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
2. Slice the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, and rub 1 Tbls olive oil into each half. Place cut-side down on the baking sheet. Put into the oven, and cook for 40 minutes, or until the skin gives when you poke it.
3. While waiting for the oven to heat, prep your veggies.
4. Heat 2 Tbls olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. To determine when the oil is hot, get your hand a little wet and then flick the water into the pan. If it sizzles, it's ready. Add the onions, cooking until it starts to become translucent. Then add the garlic, and cook for a couple more minutes.
5. Toss in the rest of the veggies, cooking for about 5 minutes to soften they carrots.
6. Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, as well as the basil, oregano, rosemary, pepper, and salt. Stir in the meat and cook until the tomatoes and ham are hot.
7. By this time, your spaghetti squash should be about done. Remove from the oven, and drag a fork across the flesh to get your spaghetti.
8. Put about 1 cup of the squash into each bowl, and top with roughly 1 cup of your veggie/ham mixture. Pour yourself a glass of wine. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment