Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Knives

Friday, February 1, 2013

Knives

One of my most favorite Christmas presents was a Wüsthof Silverpoint knife block set. It was a gift from my parents and if I didn't already love them, this gift totally would have bought my love. A few months ago I had invested in a 8" chef knife made by J.A. Henckels. It's a good knife, but the chef knife of the Silverpoint set is amazing. It's like slicing through air, or through butter with a hot knife. The knives are so light and sharp. Sigh. They're awesome.

My family and I have a long history of accidentally slicing our fingers open when chopping veggies, etc. I've even did a safety topic at work on knife safety as a result of a slice across the palm of my hand while trying to cut open a melon. What I can tell you as a result of that safety topic is that it's safer for you if you have a sharper knife? Sounds kind of strange, but the reasoning for a sharper knife is that you require less force to chop things and therefore are less likely to slip and slice your hand open with a lot of force. And with the amount of meat, veggies, and fruit that I slice, dice, and chop, it's a good idea to invest in good knives. You don't necessarily have to go with an entire set at once, but I highly recommend getting a chef's knife - 8". There is a proper way to hold a chef's knife though, so check out the articles below:

Plus, it's cool to know how to chop things properly and quickly. So go out and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment