Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Simple Slow-Cooker Beef Stew

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Simple Slow-Cooker Beef Stew

On my way back from the airport from my Portland trip last weekend I stopped at Whole Foods to pick up ingredients for a stew. I literally just walked through the produce section thinking Hmmm... that looks yummy. I'll grab one of those. Oh! Sweet potatoes!! Hmmmm, I should probably get an onion. Oooohh! The red peppers looks good. I need some more color. It was very haphazard as I zig-zagged back and forth across the produce section. That's what I get for showing up without a grocery list. Anyways, I got home, unpacked, and started laundry (Yeah, I'm good like that), and started chopping vegetables. I was finishing up my stew preparations just in time for a friend to join me in some TV/football watching. By the time I woke up Monday morning, this deliciousness was waiting for me.


Simple Slow-Cooker Beef Stew
1 lb beef, in chunks (the type of beef that you use is up to you, stew beef is always an option)
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
3/4 bunch of celery (~7 stalks), chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 sweet potato, in chunks
1 red pepper, chopped
1.5 cups beef broth
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
6 shakes tabasco sauce (optional)

Once all of your ingredients other than the broth have been chopped/sliced, layer the ingredients into the slow-cooker: onions, sweet potato, carrots, celery, and beef. Sprinkle the spices on top and then pour in the beef broth. Add your tabasco sauce. Cover, and set on low for 10 hours. I usually mix after a couple hours, but you don't have to stir if you don't want to or won't be near your slow-cooker (I have this thing with leaving my crock-pot unattended for an entire day. I think I inherited my mom's fear that the slow-cooker is going to burn down the house.). Anyways, there you go. Easy-peasy!

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for a simple Paleo beef stew recipe and yours is it! I have everything in the crock pot right now except for the beef broth. I forgot to check the label while at the store and see it has autolyzed yeast extract in it (that's hidden MSG.) So I am on the way back to the store to get a different beef broth. We have to be so careful even when buying supposedly natural brands (this one was Pacific.) But anyway, thanks for the great recipe!
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete