Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Why I'm dumb...

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Why I'm dumb...

Today we had "All-Day Graze" at work. One of my co-workers sent out an email announcing that we all could bring in foods for breakfast, lunch, desserts, and snacks; if you bring something, you get to partake in the food. I brought in clementines, a veggie tray, and some chocolate chip cookies.

What I got in return is part of a bagel, a bite of pasta, 2 pita chips with hummus, fruit, a kolache, and oreo balls (we had so many carbs). Only the fruit would qualify as Paleo, but I felt like eating it. The result... by noon, I had a raging headache with an overshadowing of fogginess (so I took some migraine meds), and a grumbling stomach. On the bright side, it's times like this that remind me why I follow Paleo. Lately, I've been losing focus, and today is enough to get me back on track. As soon as I got home, I scrounged around through my pantry and fridge to clear out everything that's not Paleo. I've also decided to give up added sugars again. In other words... no maple syrup, no honey, and no chocolate (not even dark), which started at noon today. And I'm going to do this for 3 months. You heard it. No added sugars until July 26th.

Also, as a result of this "All-Day Graze," some of my co-workers and I have decided to start a biggest loser competition on May 14th. First weigh-in: May 14th; last weigh-in: June 13th. Each person pays $20 and the person who loses the highest percentage of their weight wins the pot (which is at $100 so far). And do you want to know what this means I'll be doing during that time? Whole 30 - the secret weapon at feeling healthy. Yes, this means I'll be giving up alcohol just in time for a camping trip and for Memorial Day celebrations. But if I can survive family Thanksgiving without alcohol (jk, I love you guys), then I can probably survive a month with friends.

So two benefits that came out of not eating Paleo today:
  1. Being reminded of why I don't eat foods that are bad for me.
  2. Planning a weight-loss competition with my co-workers.
Will power needs to kick in now. I like chocolate. I really do. This isn't going to be easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment