Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Chemo - Part 11 - Day 10

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chemo - Part 11 - Day 10

Well, there's good and bad news today about the chemo recovery. The good news: "Feeling more human." The bad news: A rash has developed on the face and chest, and was spreading a little. It's possible that it's a heat rash resulting from being feverish (so a side effect of a side effect) or if it's a side effect of the chemo itself. My parents haven't called the doctor yet, but if it's not better by morning, I'm calling the doctor myself.

I've been busy today after work, doing grocery shopping and cooking. Those recipes will come soon. In the meantime, I had found and tried out a recipe for pear sorbet here: http://rikishore.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-all-of-my-favorites-in-one-meal/. Because I don't have an ice cream maker, I made granita instead.

Ginger Pear Granita

3 ripe pears, cubed
2 tsp ginger, sliced
2 tsp lemon juice
1 cup water
1 tsp vodka (to prevent freezer burn)

Put the pears, ginger, and 1/2 cup water in a large pan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the ginger slices, then transfer to a food processor. Run until smooth. Mix in the water and vodka. Transfer to a tupperware and place in the fridge until cool. Once chilled, transfer to the freezer. Stir every 30 minutes, until the mixture looks like icy flakes (see below).


This dessert is yummy, sweet, and good for nausea. Yay ginger! It also helps with mouth sores and difficult swallowing. Who knew eating yummy things could be so good for you? I mean, besides everyone who follows Paleo that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment