Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: W30D15

Monday, February 10, 2014

W30D15

I woke up this morning and decided that I wanted to fast today. At the time of this post, I'll have gone without food for 27 hours. I don't know all of the reasons why, but I always feel GREAT when I fast. I have no stomach issues, no headaches, and consistent energy levels. I even worked out tonight. I did 45 minutes on my rowing machine and then spent 15 minutes doing yoga stretches and working on inversions (a.k.a. head stands).

I really need to research fasting some more, because as great as I feel now, not eating for extended periods of time is just not going to work for me. So I need to figure out what it is that I'm eating that is causing me to have lingering stomach issues. Thoughts anyone?

Roast Chicken

4 lb free-range chicken
2 Tbls olive oil
3 tsp salt
3 tsp pepper
1 lemon
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 sweet potatoes, chopped into 2" pieces
10 carrots, roughly chopped
1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
1 bunch celery, roughly chopped

1. Preheat the oven or roaster to 350 F.
2. Rinse the inside and outside of the chicken. Pat dry and then coat with olive oil.
3. Rub 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp pepper into the skin of the bird. Make cuts in the skin near the wings of the bird and use the holes to rub salt and pepper under the skin as well.
4. Rub the remaining salt and pepper on the inside of the bird.
5. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the lemon on the inside of the bird. Then place the lemon halves and the smashed garlic cloves into the chicken.
6. Spread the sweet potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery chunks across the bottom of the pan. Use a rack to place the chicken above the vegetables.
7. Cook for 1 hour (roughly 15 minutes per pound of chicken). Halfway through, baste the chicken and drain off the liquid in the bottom of the pan; this will make sure the bottom of the chicken gets crispy as well.

ECD7: 45 minutes rowing machine, 15 minutes yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment