Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: W30D4

Thursday, January 30, 2014

W30D4

I'm admitting a slip-up when it comes to the Whole 30. I had alcohol tonight with some of my current and former co-workers. I started Whole 30 with the knowledge that I already had plans to consume alcohol during the 30 days. I totally understand the reasons why I shouldn't consume alcohol and I know how alcohol affects my bodily functions. I also firmly believe that our ancestors did not have easy access to fermented beverages. So while I believe that they probably had irregular access to some sort of alcoholic beverages/materials, I don't believe that it would be a commonly consumed product. However, I also recognize the fact that while I do follow a Paleo lifestyle, the foods, whether they be meat or vegetables, that I eat now are not the same foods as what my Paleolithic ancestors eat. Food products have evolved (or been genetically engineered) to be different from what humanoids ate 10,000 years ago. The cow meat that I buy at a store now, is not the same as what would have been hunted and killed by our ancestors. Just accept that fact. I do recommend that you should aim for grass-fed meat whenever possible. And speaking of grass-fed meat...


Spinach Meatballs
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
3/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 egg

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all of the ingredients together using your hands.
3. Roll into 1" diameter balls and spread across broiler pan.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.

5. Serve with spaghetti squash and pasta sauce or pesto sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment