Google+ Adventures in Paleo-land: Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Last Sunday, I went into work for 7.5 hours. On my way home, I was thinking about what I had at home and what I could make for my meals for the week. My mom had mentioned having soup earlier in the day, which made me think about tomato soup. I went through the pantry inventory stored in my mind, and decided I wanted tomato basil soup. I had everything at home that I would need, excluding the fresh basil, which I had to go to two stores to find. Ridiculous! Anyways, here's what I did, and honey, it tastes good.



Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 15-oz can of crushed tomatoes, no salt added
1 12-oz can of tomato sauce
1 8-oz can of tomato paste
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/5 tsp ghee
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
~5 leaves fresh basil
1 tsp oregano
1 pinch sea salt
fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 cup coconut milk

Place all of your ingredients, excluding the coconut milk, into a crock pot. Stir, then cover. Set on low for 8 hours. After cooking, use an immersion blender to break down the ingredients into smaller pieces (if desired). Stir in the coconut milk and serve with a chiffonade of basil. Enjoy!

I just happened to have 5 different types of canned tomato products at home. You could use one of the jumbo cans of crushed tomatoes and use that in place of the 2 15-oz cans of diced/crushed tomatoes. Also, if you like your tomato soups to have a little chunk to them, stick with diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes or the tomato sauce. It's what you make of it, so have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment